When Should I Get a Bridge Loan for My Small Business?
There comes a time in most small business owner’s lives when they think about getting a loan. It may be that cash flow is slow, you want to purchase a new piece of equipment, you’re looking to open a new location or any number of other endeavors.
Many small business owners find it difficult to get approved for a traditional bank loan, or they find that the process to get approved takes way more time than they have. Maybe you’ve found yourself in this predicament.
One great solution for small business owners looking for working capital is to obtain a bridge loan. A bridge loan is a short-term loan which is usually repaid within a short period of time – between 3 to 18 months.
The Benefits of Getting a Bridge Loan Include:
- A better alternative to obtaining an equity partner
- Bridge the gap while waiting on conventional financing
- Can act as a down payment to begin a build-out project
- Act as a line of credit with access to 5 loan drafts for 4 months
When Should I get a Bridge Loan?
There are a number of occasions when getting a bridge loan is a much better option that getting another type of loan or other financial input:
- If you need some additional working capital but don’t want to give part of it away to an investor.
- If your business is looking to purchase new equipment.
- If you need money quickly for a down payment.
- To keep your business cash flow positive.
What You Need to Think About
Bridge loans have a bit of a bad reputation, but this is due to people who wrongly choose to get one. The main thing to remember is that it is a short-term loan, which means that payment needs to be made relatively quickly. Forget this and you could end up with a lot of interest to pay off.
Here are a few questions to ask:
- Is there an early pay-off penalty?
- What documents you need to supply and what credit checks (if any) will be carried out?
- Can the loan be split over time?
- Is the rate guaranteed?
- Is it fixed term?
- Can you defer payments if necessary?
If you are fully aware of the conditions around your loan and are confident that you have the means to pay it back within the time frame, then a bridge loan can answer a lot of your problems.
To receive a no-obligation, free quote for a bridge loan for your businesses, Click here. We’re here to help you get approved by one of our FDIC-insured community banks. We’ll even put up the collateral for you!